The problem of stowaways is not just financial issue. In some cases it is a threat to the ship's crew, when stowaways get violent or outnumber the crew.
Facts and Findings
- The high-risk areas where the stowaways board the ships are currently Western Europe, Northern and West Africa, and South America.
- USA and Canada are target destinations for many stowaways. The costs for redelivery of stowaways to country of origin are also substantially higher from here.
- RoRo vessels are main targets for the stowaways followed by ferries and container ships.
- Stowaways might be assisted by organised syndicates, dock workers, stevedores and even, on some occasions, by vessels crew.
- Stowaways try to hide everywhere; in containers, on trailers, inside funnels and ventilators and under bagged cargo to mention some places.